field hockey

National champion Emma Russell played, coached in Ireland before returning to SU

Courtesy of SU Athletics

After being away from the program, Emma Russell is back with the team as an assistant coach, helping the next generation of players.

Syracuse head coach Lynn Farquhar wanted former Syracuse player Emma Russell on her coaching staff. The two constantly called during the spring.

“It was ‘Mission: Bring Emma Back,’” Farquhar said.

Russell finished her playing career as SU’s all-time leader in points (140) and goals (57). She helped lead the Orange to their lone national championship in 2015. Following her graduation, Russell returned to Ireland, her home country, to play and coach field hockey. Now, after Farquhar’s convincing, Russell has returned to Syracuse’s sideline in a “prominent” coaching role.

Russell was frustrated after Syracuse’s 2-1 loss to North Carolina in the 2015 Atlantic Coast Conference championship. After an undefeated regular season title, Russell and senior Alyssa Manley felt it was a missed opportunity.

“That was our only loss that season and it definitely lit a fire under us. And the big prize was still in sight,” Manley said.

Teammate Roos Weers — the only goal-scorer in SU’s loss — said the team was destined to avenge the loss. The Orange got their chance in the 2015 national championship game when they faced off against the No. 2 Tar Heels on Nov. 22.

Russell scored the opening goal for Syracuse nine minutes in to put the Orange up 1-0. With the Orange up 3-2 in the fourth quarter, Russell assisted Syracuse’s fourth goal to seal the victory.

Russell called the victory “the best moment of (her) life.”

During her time with Syracuse, Russell had a strong impact on then-freshman Weers. After Russell graduated, Weers led Syracuse in goals her junior and senior seasons. Weers said she developed her skills by playing with Russell, who acted as a “player coach.” She admired how Russell didn’t waste words and “got down to business.”

After reaching the pinnacle of collegiate field hockey, Russell returned to Ireland where she played for its national team. Russell previously represented Ireland at the U16, U18 and U21 levels but said playing at the senior level was a childhood dream.

“It’s so amazing. You can’t really go any higher than that, when you get to play against the best in the world,” Manley said.

Three years later, Russell stopped playing to join St. Gerard’s, an independent school in Bray, Ireland, in an administrative sports role. At St. Gerard’s, Russell managed 10 different sports but always felt an emotional connection to field hockey. She said staying connected with the sport was crucial for her.

Russell started coaching field hockey at St. Gerard’s in 2018. She had previously been working with lower levels of the national teams for years. Under her tutelage, a number of players Russell coached made it to Ireland’s senior team like she did.

Farquhar said Russell is good at reading players and putting them in successful positions, which is one of the main reasons coaching came so naturally to her.

“I’ve seen her coach here in Ireland for the U18 or U21, and she has an immense ability to connect with the different players and share her knowledge of field hockey in an understandable way,” Manley said.

Now back with Syracuse, Russell is a key part of the coaching staff. She works with midfielders and attackers, preaching the importance of counter attacks using through balls. Similar to her time as a player, Russell emphasizes positioning and individual awareness.

“All of her training sessions are about individual development, and how we can improve technically or even mentally,” Farquhar said. “That’s self-talk, and hers is about taking ownership and trusting what you’re good at.”

Russell wants to emulate the same success she brought to SU as a player, but now as a coach. Her desire to win a national championship has remained strong, she said.

“The challenge is impacting the program in a different way than how I did as a player,” Russell said. “And that’s something that really excites me.”